Monday, January 15, 2018

HEALTH AND SAFETY

My direct personal knowledge of long term stress gives me reason to question health care professionals who say that anxiety attacks are not life threatening health hazards. I think that is exactly what they are - because crushing chest pain is the hallmark of a heart attack, or anxiety attack, and it's easy for a victim to make a life and death mistake when they can't tell them apart in advance.

In fact, the first time I experienced an anxiety attack my husband rushed me to the hospital emergency ward because I was sure I was dying of a heart attack. Since then, I never know what to do about chest pain. If I die of a heat attack, because I thought it was an anxiety attack, blame the strata.


Based on my own experience it is not surprising to me that women are dying of their first heart attack because they are unfamiliar with the experience, and the symptoms could be mistaken for more common indigestion or anxiety. I don't rush to the emergency ward anymore or call an ambulance for chest pain because it has always gone away, but I never know whether it is a heart attack, or not, and for that reason alone, I think stress kills.


Doctors dismissed my symptoms of sweating, chest pain, and bowel spasms as stress from the strata's misconduct, missing cancer and chronic and active gastritis for years because the symptoms were so similar. This is another way that stress kills.

To put faces on that stress I think of all the top down perpetrators of corruption.

A cause of death in this complex could be as simple as the strata's failure to replace light bulbs
, which puts owners at risk of dying in the dark, if that is not what Grace Boswell already did. Who knows how many deaths are due to strata corruption, when 3 emergency rescuers from a fire truck were wandering around in the dark with a flashlight, asking us how to find a unit like they did in the fall or winter of 2017. I'm sorry I forgot the date and the unit number. I guess I should have written it down, somewhere, but it would not be accepted as convincing evidence of the need to reinstate our address back to a lit area anyway. W
hen deference prevails over justice in the mind of the police and court, mere assertions by the strata outweigh contrary proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

By the way, our light is working here, but when you are in the dark trying to find your way around our roads, which are laid out like a kettle of snakes, do you see the unit number in this photo? Most don't.

It seems more than unfair that an unidentified member of the strata management team had the unit numbers for strata lots like Unit 409 moved and installed away from the garage lighting and sight from the line of travel, without notice or a s.71 vote of approval, but maintained the original standard for 2-bedroom units that all have their unit number right in front, below the garage lights, where the developer put them originally and everyone can still see them. 

This is part of a pattern of significant changes made preemptively by owners of upper units contrary to the benefit of owners of lower units, when prior approval would be unlikely, and reasonable protections and effective remedies are refused contrary to law. Such significant unfairness sickens me - believe it or not. Whether or not it kills me - remains to be seen.

When owners who litigate run the risk of unreasonable defeat and costs because stratas are deferred to and "not held to a standard of perfection" in complying with statutory obligations, there is a dangerous ripple effect that compromises health and safety. Especially when stratas persistently take advantage, fail to replace burned out lights for years, and unreasonably refuse to maintain visibility at night, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc....

Further to this, strata management claims that I am never satisfied and complain about everything, whether it concerns me or not, so my conduct is characterized as harassment. In fact, however, I am satisfied with most things in life; including minding my own business; it is the strata's unlawful acts that negatively impact my health and safety, property value, and quiet enjoyment that concern me.

Instead of maintaining original standards the strata council refused to allow me to install even the simplest, most basic mitigation. Is that reasonable or fair? How is such obstruction in the best interests of the strata?

So even though I installed a key code lock so nobody has to  break down my door when I am disabled in an emergency I could still die waiting for rescuers to find my unit in the dark because strata refused to replace burned out bulbs or take other very simple corrective action.

Despite the fact that nobody else seems to care, the strata's failure to maintain visibility to original standards is a dangerous violation of s.71 and s.72 and potentially fatal in my opinion. 

We don't want to die while an ambulance is lost in the dark.

I've learned.... 
That life is like a roll of toilet paper. 
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. - Andy Rooney